HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 10:50:42 +0100
Dear All,

Are any of you using MIDAS, or your own national data standard for
monument inventories, in the design of inventories for academic
research?

I am compiling an inventory as part of my research at the university of
York into the world-wide use of the "Dutch" short wall anchor
construction technique.  I have designed a database to manage my data. I
used MIDAS in the inventory design and database structure. I've been
using other data standards, too, partially because my project has a
global focus, and MIDAS assumes a UK focus.

I am, in the day job, a Museum Development Officer, so am very familiar
to working on database and inventory design within industry standards -
it's come as a bit of a surprise to find how little standards are used
in academia (naive about everything, from democracy on down, that's
me!). A brief literature search has failed to find any project which
acknowledges MIDAS ... and I'd also particularly like to see how other
standards are being used.

With best wishes to all,

Pat
(ps I'm going to Colorado next week - any recommendations for things to
see/do/eat/enjoy?)

--
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)