HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 10:51:10 -0400
Speaking of cinder block construction, I attended the 1995 National Park
Service workshop in Santa Fe, New Mexico following the assault by Congress on
the Advisory Council Procedures and took a side trip to Acoma Pueblo, New
Mexico. The Acoma have very strict rules about tourists visiting the ancient
pueblo, but I paid for the tour and went up there with a group. We walked the
thousand year old streets, saw very old adobe houses and kivas, and visited
sacred areas. But to my utttermost shock, some new modifications to the
ancient adobe are rooms added on  with cinderblock! It was outright trashy
looking and a total violation of the architectural character of the site. But
I guess the Acoma answer only to themselves about what is correct and what is
not. It was a great disappointment to see that cinder block room stuck on the
side of the beautiful adobe like a cancerous sore.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.