From:
Robin Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 05:55:56 PST
Roger Hecht wrote:

>>Even without a baton, you can follow the real artist.  You read his/her
>>body language and get used to the conductor's style.

J. McDaniel responded:

>My experience as a conductor has led me to believe that wind players and
>percussionists often need the extra clarity which a baton provides.  When
>I conduct string orchestras, I often lay my baton down.  For instance,
>having conducted Barber's Adagio for Strings both with and without baton,
>I much prefer it without.

I really don't think there is a good reason for using or not using a baton.
There are arguments concerning clarity, expressiveness, visibility and so
forth, I just don't see that any of them have a particular relevance.  It
is possible to be equally expressive, clear and easy to watch with a baton
or without - what is really important is what happens in the face, mind and
soul.

Conducting isn't about beating time or making expressive gestures; it is
about relationships, understanding (both of music and people), persuasion,
communication, determination and more.  You can use a baton or not:  it
makes no difference to your success as a conductor.

The one thing which makes all the difference is simply faith.  Faith in the
music, the players and in yourself.

Robin Newton