From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:04:30 -0800
Joseph Previte ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Barere had a massive stroke in the middle of a performance and lived for
>many more years but in a debilitated condition, never able to perform
>again.  Gieseking, if I recall, also died during the performance of the
>Grieg piano concerto of a stroke, I believe.  There is another story, but
>it is slipping my slipped mind at the moment.

you are confusing Simon Barere, who collapsed and died onstage in 1950 (?)
during his first ever performance of the Grieg Concerto - with Ormandy for
what it's worth, at Carnegie Hall I believe - with Solomon, who had a
stroke in 1956 (actually he had been having "ministrokes" for sometime
previous, and his last recordings were increasingly difficult), which
paralysed his side (don't recall which) and he never appeared in public
again, although he lived until (IIRC) 1988 or 9.

Not sure what happened to Gieseking - but the Grieg incident was definitely
Barere.

Deryk Barker