From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:31:20 +0100
Chris Bonds wrote:

>I used to have him doing the Brahms 2nd with Krips, and I've also
>heard his later recording with Ormandy.  My overall impression is that he
>doesn't take as "massive" an approach to Brahms as some others might (don't
>ask me to name names, though), but he was an impeccable musician and can't
>do much wrong, IMO.

I quite agree with this assessment of Rubinstein's Brahms.  He actually
recorded txhe 2nd concerto a third time (or, rather, the first time) with
Colin Coates and the LSO and I also have a first concerto by him from his
later days with Mehta and the Israel Philharmonic.  Still not bad, not bad
at all.

Philip Peters