From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 04:13:09 +0200
Geoffrey Gaskell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Would anyone care to put in a good word for these two composers?

I can't comment on Benatzky, but I have heard a lot of Kalmanns operettas.
I my opinion perhaps the greatest master of the Viennese Operetta.
Flor-thin sounds with the beautiest melodies everywhere.  Very viennese,
but the composers "csardas"-temperament sometimes show up with great
intensity too, which adds a very nice flavour to the music.  I would
say that "Die Zirkusprinzessin" should be his best work.  Great stuff.

According to a Danacord vendor I spake to, there should be also on their
label a CD with chamber music, like a little sextett and a violinsonata,
featuring Laeticia Honda.  It comes coupled with a sonata by Ignaz Pleyel.
Thats fancy as when E.K. is played it is else always his operettas, but
for I.P.  this repertoire is what one always encounter of course.

But for the operettas I guess your choice will be the ubiquitous Robert
Stolz 1940ies recordings as usual.  Everyone know that they are great by
now.  You should ask our Schwartzo - perhaps he has some review in his
archieve, should you have missed them.  Good luck!

P.S.  Good to see you on the list again after so many years Geoffrey!
Welcome back!  D.S.

Mats Norrman