From:
Mary Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 08:12:04 EST
Hello, you know, I listened to one of Tori's CDs yesterday and thought
about the comment that her persona is that of victim.  I agree with the
basic thought, but I'd phrase it differently.  to me, her persona is not
victim, which denotes whining about one's life while making no attempt
to change things.  But I do think she has a persona similar to that.  I
would call it an artist who has been Tragically Misunderstood.  I think
Tori is immensely talented, but sometimes I wonder if she feels success
is incompatible with a sense of humor, at least in her songs anyway.  I
don't know obviously what she's like in real life.  I am a firm believer
that a sense of humor helps to avoid the pitfalls of bitterness and
pretentiousness.  I don't see much of a sense of humor in her songs,
which makes me think there is a persona she has cultivated.

I agree that she is to be commended for founding RAINN (rape abuse and
incest hotline) which has helped a lot of people.  I don't see that many
successful and well-off artists doing that much for a pressing social
problem.  There is also a listserv called "ripple back to me" which is for
sexual abuse victims who are Tori fans.  These are young women (mostly,
though there are some men) trying hard to cope with something that they
don't understand.  They need all the support they can get.  From my vantage
point of 33, it's hard to see such young people struggling so hard with
this.  I keep wanting to say, "but, they are mere babies!"

What responsibility do successful performers/artists have to society
anyway? It seems most seem to forget where they came from and they don't do
much to try to help other people.

Mary Katherine