From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 07:44:39 -0600
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>Karl Miller:
>
>>There is a wealth of surviving Munch BSO performances.  I have tried to
>>collect many of them.
>
>This reminds me of a very old film I saw many years ago.  I remember that
>it contained a reasonable chunk of a symphony by Easley Blackwood, possibly
>the 3rd.  ...
>
>Did Munch record this symphony, or any Blackwood symphony, and if so, has
>it ever been re-released? If he didn't, has anyone ever done so? ...

It was Blackwood's First Symphony.  It was released with the Haieff Second
Symphony on Victor.  The Blackwood was reissued on Cedille, coupled with
his 5th Symphony played by Chicago.

The BSO performed it at least six or seven times.  I have one tape that
lists Burgin as the conductor.  I also have a live Munch performance.

I have great respect for Blackwood's work.  His 1st Symphony was a
remarkable accomplishment for someone so young.  I heard a story from Louis
Lane that Szell was so impressed with the work, that he commissioned the
Second Symphony.  Szell didn't care much for the Second, but the broadcast
recording of Szell's performance is, to my ears, incredible!  It is work,
similar in gesture to the Rochberg Second Symphony, another favorite.

Another strong work of Blackwood's is the piano concerto.  My tape features
the composer at the piano, Louis Lane conducting Cleveland.

The Third Symphony (I have but one movement on tape...would love to hear
the rest of it) is in a similar style.  Much of his later work became very
tonal but still maintained a remarkable level of intensity.

In an odd way, I am reminded of a piece I heard the other day, Torke's
First Symphony.  It struck me as insipid drivel.  I am saddened to think
that music like that is programmed, when music of substance, like
Blackwood's, isn't performed by the major orchestras.

Karl