From:
Gene Halaburt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:33:14 -0700
Krishan P Oberoi wrote:

>However, during Christopher Rouse's delightful piece, "The Infernal
>Machine" (which I don't think could be called safe OR traditional), the
>woman exclaimed under her breath, "This is cool!", and I had to turn around
>and nod my assent...

Although "The Infernal Machine" (Rouse admits stealing the title from
Cocteau) was originally written (1981) as a separate piece, later it became
the middle section of a three section work "Phantasmata," the other two
sections being called "The Evestrum of Juan de la Cruz in the Sagrada
Famiglia at 3 A.M." and "Bump, "Rouse's vision of "a Boston Pops tour
performance in Hell." I find all three sections delightful, and highly
recommend the Elektra/Nonesuch CD recording with the Baltimore Symphony
under David Zinman (9 79230-2), where "Phantasmata" is coupled with Rouse's
Symphony No. 1.

Gene Halaburt