From:
Peter Harzem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 16:11:43 -0500
Mats Norrman wrote:

>On this topic I must say I was disappointed when I at a live concert in
>which a duo concertante was played started applausing after the first
>movement because I liked the love with which the violinist played.  People
>looked embarrassed and a helpful soul who sat behind me said to his
>neighbour "There are two movements left".  For gods sake: if it is good,
>applause, and is it really good stand up and express your joy loudly, and
>is it bad, sit down and shut up, and shout "boooh" if it is really bad!!!
>I mean it: the engagement is the only thing the musicians are there for.
>And that should go for the audience too!

It seems to me that the movements of a work involve essential continuity,
both in the work itself and in the effects on the listener.  Intervals
between them do (don/t they) provide moments for reflection, continuity,
etc.  Applause in those intervals would be an intrusion, an unwelcome
disruption of all that.  One of the precious practices that survive, even
if precariously, in classical music performances (but few, if any, other
situations) is regard for others' feelings, comfort, etc.  This, I believe,
is something that needs to be protected as jealously as possible.

Peter Harzem