From:
Tim Horwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 11:15:40 +0100
Peter Harzem wrote:

>Some 35 (+/-?) years ago I was fortunate enough to hear Reginald Goodall
>conduct the Meistersinger, and the Ring at the English National Opera
>in London.  At each performance (possibly all but one) he/they received
>standing ovation, and justly so--not a common display by English opera
>audiences.  (Writing this, now living in the USA, I miss my beloved
>Coliseum!)

I used to go to the Coliseum a lot over the past 20 years or so.  I always
got tickets for the the upper circle hopefully near the front if I could.
From there I could look into the orchestra pit.  I remember one time having
applauded the singers, the conductor went on to the stage and having bowed
went forward to wave to the orchestra to take a bow only to find that the
entire orchestra had packed up and left!

Tim Horwood