From:
Mark Landson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:12:31 -0500
Don said:

>Beethoven's interest in new technology doesn't lead to an automatic
>preference for every new item produced.  Besides, even if Beethoven's
>preferences were for modern instruments all-around, that wouldn't change
>the preference of those who prefer Beethoven's music played on period
>instruments.

Couldn't agree more.  Like I said, I have no problem with performances
on period instruments.  I think the ability to hear the timbres that
Beethoven or Bach actually heard in their time is greatly illuminating
and facinating.  I think you can make just as convincing a performance
on period instruments as modern ones.  The point is as Heifetz said when
someone told him that his Stradivarius sounded wonderful.  Holding it up
to his ear, he said, "that's funny, I don't hear it playing!"

Well, if you listened to the webcast on GMN of Norrington and the AOE
playing Beethoven 1st, you heard that every accent and sforzando is
faithful reproduced in sound, but especially in the fast movements it
sounds to me like a frantic high school orchestra trying to race to the
end.  And that's not the players' fault.  Hardly a place for reflection in
the whole work.  And it holds very little of the idea of grace and timeless
beauty that should pervade an aesthetic of 1800.

Mark Landson
New Classical Composer
http://www.LandsonMusic.com