From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:38:06 -0700
I just wanted to humbly* register my enthusiasm for Goodall's "Twilight of
the Gods." As others have mentioned, Goodall really brings out a mountain's
worth of Wagner's orchestrational felicities.  I was captivated.  (I have
to admit I've always been thrilled my Solti recording, but it's obvious now
as to just how much Solti's driving flattens out Wagner's textures.

I don't find Goodall's Brunhilde, (Rita Hunter), any less exciting
than Solti's Nilsson, and in fact, Hunter's voice is much warmer.  And
Siegfried, (Alberto Remedios), has a gorgeous voice.  The rhinemaidens
on the Goodall are very light-voiced and sensual.  All this coupled with
Goodall's luxurious and revealing reading has made for some really
gratifying listening.

Oh--the English translation is not distracting at all.  Much of it is
hard to follow without the booklet anyway, which is fine by me.  (The
point where I lost my innocence long ago was when I belatedly picked up
a libretto and discovered what they were *really* saying in all those
German and Italian operas I was listening to.)

Is the rest of the cycle this good? (I've read positive reviews, but always
looking for further input.)

*I've not heard any other recordings but the Solti.

John Smyth