From:
Albie Cabrera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:16:52 -0700
Virginia Knight <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>...but those associations vary greatly from person to person, even
>(especially?) among the musically experienced.  To take two pieces from
>the list - I feel the step from Mahler's 9th to Berg's violin concerto to
>be a small one, but for at least one other contributor to this thread it
>is a huge gulf.

Might be referring to me in that last sentence...  but actually, I might
need to qualify my original statement now, having listened to my newly
aquired copy of the Mahler 9 a few times now (Karajan's digital second, for
those wondering)...  I'm still not quite getting it.  I immediately clicked
with the Mahler 5th and 6th, and warmed eventually to the rest except for
#9 and #3 (which I simply haven't heard much of at all).

>Meanwhile, my two year old daughter (far from a tabula rasa where music
>is concerned) is learning the names of some composers, and last night
>misidentified Dvorak as Verdi.  Right century, anyway.

Wow, I'm usually impressed when a 2-year-old (and sometimes a
24-year-old;-) can just eat at the table and not spill most of it on
their clothes!;-)

Albie