HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Dendy, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 12:29:05 -0500
Carl,

At least here in Kansas, they were still shipping fresh oysters in barrels
by rail up to the turnof the 20th century. Because they travelled so well,
they were a staple for the miiitary outposts. A few years ago, while
excavating a new storm sewer line behind the 19th century station agent's
quarters site, we uncovered a very large oyster shell midden. We know that
that site was in use through 1909. You might want to look for a similar
phenomenon.

John Dendy
Archeologist
Dynamac Corporation