HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Timothy James Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 17:13:16 -0500
Histarchers,

As the members of this list have rather eclectic taste, I thought some
people might be able to help the curators at the Milwaukee Art Museum.  The
Museum is planning an exhibition on Brooks Stevens, the Milwaukee area
industrial designer.  In planning the exhibit, they are looking for
information on "excellent" examples of products designed by Mr. Stevens by a
diverse range of companies.  I've attached a list below.

As I understand their needs, the curators wish to track down display quality
examples of these companies' products.  They'd like to talk with people
knowledgeable about each company's history and also folks at historical
societies, regional museums, or private collectors who might have objects
for display.

Ms. Sarah Fayen is coordinating the search effort at the Chipstone
Foundation.  Helpful people can contact her at 414-220-4270.

Cheers,
Tim
--------------

Coolerator Refrigerator, c. 1945-50, IT&T Corp, New York.

"Controla Speed" washing machine, 1940, Barton
Company, West Bend, Wisconsin

Petipoint iron, Edmilton Co., Milwaukee, Wisconsin

"Manhattan" colored cookware, Mirro Aluminum Co,
Manitowoc, Wisconsin

Vacuum cleaner, Modern Hygiene Corp., Boston, Massachusetts

Cookware from Republic Steel (location unknown)

Lawn Boy mowers, Outboard Marine Corp., Waukegan,
Illinois

Milwaukeematic Machining Center, 1960s, Kearney and Trecker, Milwaukee,
Wisconsin.

Jeepster, 1948, Willys Motors, Toledo, Ohio

"Jet Pilot" Roadmaster bicycle, 1947, Cleveland
Welding Co, Ohio

Outboard motors 1940s­1970s, by Evinrude or
Johnson, Outboard Marine Corp, Waukegan, Illinois

Peacock meat products packaging, 1941, Cudahy
Bros. Co., Cudahy, Wisconsin

Packaging, 1960-70s, 3M company, St. Paul, Minnesota