HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 13:20:36 -0400
From:
Bob Hoover <[log in to unmask]>
I am trying to complete a type collection of Spanish colonial pottery as a
teaching collection.
Many of the types that occur in California are too late to be found in the
East; many types that you have are too early for us to find.  If we each have
the desired specimens from non-contextual sources, we may be able to assist
each other.  The following is a list of types which I am lacking.  Fell free
to send me a list of types that you need in exchange.

Santa Maria Polychrome (a Mexico City Green series)

Mexico City White (1550-1650)

Valle Ware

Mexico City Blue-on-Cream (1575-1650)

Orangeline Polychrome (1775-1800) -formerly Orange Band Polychrome II

Talaveran-Style Polychrome (1550-1600)

Puebla Polychrome (1492-1575)

Faenza White (1550-1600)

Morisco Ware (1400-1600)

Cuerda Seca Ware (pre-1550)

Montelupo Polychrome (1500-1550)

Montelupo Blue-on-White (1500-1550)

Faenza Compendiaro (1550-1600)

Ligurian Blue-on-Blue (1550-1600)

Sevilla Blue-on-White (1530-1650)

Caparra Blue (1492-1600)

Reflejo Metalico (pre-1550)

San Diego Polychrome (1750-1810)

Mexico City Green-on-Cream (1575-1650)

Mt. Royal Polychrome (1650-1685)

Catalonian Blue-on-White (1750-1810)

Sevilla White (1530-1650)

Puebla Green-on-White (1780-1825)

Castillo Polychrome (1675-1750) - includes former Puaray Polychrome

Santa Cruz Polychrome (1750-1800) - includes Portly Eunich/Qjuiburi Polychrome

San Ignacio Polychrome (1775-1800) - blue version of Orangeline Polychrome

Zuniga Polychrome (1775-1800)

Please let me know if you need some of the later types (1770-1850) and olive
jar sherds. I also need examples of British Yellow Ware and some of the
historic aboriginal types from your area.

What I have done (and I recommend this) is to use 6 X 8 inch foamboard cards,
Paste a brief description and references on the front, and glue 2-3 sherds of
typical representative ceramics above the caption.  These are easily
portable, can be boxed for transport, and fit easily on a bulletin board or
can be used individually in the lab by students to distinguish types.  If you
can actively exchange with me, I will be happy to send you all my captions
for your use or revision.

Robert L. Hoover, Ph.D.