Elizabeth Crowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:49:08 -0500
Reply-To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Diana -

I worked on that project (in my youth) and can provide you with information, as well.  There are several projects in Washington, DC, including the Whitehurst Freeway, Barney Circle and the DC Correctional Treatment Facility, where soil borings were first employed to identify the site.  In all cases, it is imperative to have an archaeologist monitor the soil borings because the people doing the borings are conducting them for other reasons and will refer to historic surfaces and deposits as "fill" or "disturbed".  If you would like further information on any of these projects, please feel to contact me.

Liz Crowell

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 1:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: borings

Hello Diana,

In the early 1980s, when the Providence, RI train station was moved, with concomittent highway redisgn projects, very impressive archaeological sites (both prehistoric and historic) were found more than 30 feet deep in some locations.  A National Register District (Providence Covelands) was created.  Amoung the historic sites of interest was Snowtown, a late 18th/early 19th century African American community.  Amoung the fascinating artifacts was a "witching bottle" --small glass bottle with copper pins inside--at the doorway of one of the houses.  The initial testing included probes, cores, and backhoes.

Let me know if you want more information.

Charlotte Taylor
RI Historical Preservation Commission

ATOM RSS1 RSS2