HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:44:55 -0500
Growing up in Centereach, New York on Long Island we used to have a milk and
bread delivery truck from "Duggan's" (not sure of the spelling). Apparently,
a needed service then a similar service has returned and my mother receives
milk and other products to a box on the porch, placing orders on the phone.

There has been some mostly unpublished bottle research and their companies
on Long Island. One sticks in the mind from 1903 or so "Tutti-Frutti" from
Brooklyn. A local bottler "Country Club" used to market in the Port
Jefferson, NY area I think. I used to collect bottles too and bring them
back for the coins as a youngster and sell Christmas wreaths (from Maine,
self decorated) door-to-door for Explorers (anyone in the
Congregationalist's "Stockaders" will discuss offline). I seem to remember
Vermont as the one of the first, visiting there, around 1976, to charge for
the return of bottles, $.05 (ever notice there's no "cents key" on the
computer keyboard, but no typewriter would be without it? What's up with
that?)a bottle, one very cold summer, Bar Harbor, ME fogged in.

George Myers