HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Roderick Sprague <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 14:54:34 -0700
HistArch

Bob Schuyler and I have had several discussion off-line concerning concrete
blocks and sources for further research so I have tried not to add to the
confusion, but a couple of points beg to be made.

Concrete and the comments about macadam come together when it is noted that
when bids go out for asphalt paving the terminology used is for "asphaltic
concrete."  The major definition of concrete in the materials category
remains "a conglomerate."

It is my contention that the term cinder block was used in my younger days
in the Northwest only by those not familiar with the building trades and
those tending toward rufus in the cervical region.

In 1980, Adrian White took my course in Historical Archaeology and
submitted a seven page bibliography on concrete blocks, none of which is
duplicated in the bibliography of David Moyer.  If I can find Adrian and
get her permission, I will put it on line (Adrian are you out there?).

Rick

.