Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 01:05:28 +0100
From:
Christopher Webber <[log in to unmask]>
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Indeed; there is a good reason why many singers specifically ask the
>audience to wait with the applause until the last song in a group (cycle,
>etc.).  But apparently some listeners believe that their boundless joy, no
>matter how disruptive for others, is more important than anything else.

If any of those singers should be so monstrously hieratic as to ask a
Wigmore Hall audience to "wait with the applause" they'd get very short
shrift!  Personally, I much prefer the more relaxed attitude evident, say,
at Songmakers Almanac Concerts (Graham Johnson et.  al.) They share great
music making without all that ghastly old pomp and circumstance.

For myself, I must reassure Ms Mikulska that I feel a huge gulf between
the fury engendered in me by careless racket (digital watches, unstifled
coughs, programme reading and dropping, snoozing) and the pleasure I get
from (what should I call it?) spontaneous positive feedback to my work.

Christopher Webber,  Blackheath, London,  UK.
http://www.nashwan.demon.co.uk/zarzuela.htm
The Spanish Music Site