Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 11:55:15 -0700
From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Mark Landson <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>As for me, I believe Norrington is anti-musical, and anti-insightful.

I wouldn't go so far as to call him anti-musical.  I wasn't wild about
the recordings with the London Classical Players, as it seemed to have
a chamber-music approach to orchestral music.  But it's hard to quibble
with his conscientious approach to being faithful to Beethoven's scores.

I've attended more than one concert of Norrington conducting the LA Phil,
and the approaches that don't carry enough force with the smaller ensemble
work very well with a full-sized modern orchestra.  But, then, Beethoven
had a lot to do with the increase in orchestras sizes.

Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series
www.bigfoot.com/~CulverMusic