Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 02:07:45 -0400
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
   Johann Schelle(1648-1701)
         Sacred Works

Lobe den Herrn, meine Seele
Wohl dem, der den Herren furchtet
Aus der Tiefen
Herr, lehre uns bedenken
Gott, sende dein Licht
Komm, Jesu, komm
Christus, der ist mein Leben
Christus ist des Gesetzes Ende
Vom Himmel kam der Engel Schar

Hyperion 67260 - Recorded November 2000
The King's Consort
Robert King, Director
Soprano: Carolyn Sampson, Rebecca Outram, Lisa Beckley & Julie Cooper
Countertenor: James Bowman & Robin Blaze
Tenor: Charles Daniels, James Gilchrist, Angus Smith & Matthew Vine
Bass: Peter Harvey & Charles Pott
TT 78:56

Summary for Lovers: Gorgeous & Seductive

Robert King and the King's Consort is slowly progressing through its
"Bach's Contemporaries" series.  Volume 1 was devoted to the sacred music
of Johann Kuhnau; Volume 2 gave us Sebastian Knupfer's sacred music.  We
now are presented with Volume 3 of the series which is dedicated to the
sacred music of Johann Schelle.

Knupfer-Schelle-Kuhnau represents the chronological order of having the
position of the Leipzig Thomaskantor leading up to Bach's appointment.
The Leipzig town council definitely knew how to pick good composers, and
Johann Schelle was no exception.  He broke from the strict polyphony of
earlier times and used a more vibrant and exuberant approach.  The liner
notes state, "In his works, Schelle emphasises melodic qualities and
simple and easily comprehensible structures that can be perceived even
in large-scale and multiple-part compositions".  To say that Schelle
emphasizes melody is putting it mildly.  He's a true melody machine,
churning out one great theme after another.  In this respect, he reminds
me of Mozart's melodic fecundity.

The disc contains nine vocal works, and each is a stunner.  Whether the
music is celebratory or devotional, Schelle comes up with many excellent
themes and some of them are heavenly and approach the level of a Bach or
Mozart.  Robert King and The King's Consort are wonderful period instrument
performance veterans, and they are at the top of their game for Schelle.
The vocal soloists represent a very impressive line-up; they do not
disappoint.  James Bowman still has enough chops to maintain his position
in my mind as the leading countertenor in the field, and I am most
impressed with Carolyn Sampson's lovely and seductive voice.  And
'seductive' well describes Schelle's music and the performances.  I have
been been totally seduced by this disc; it practically has an enticing
aroma to it.

These are some notes I made while listening to Schelle:

'Lobe den Herrn, meine Seele' is a 25-part setting of the first five verses
of Psalm 103("Praise the Lord, my soul").  The music is highly celebratory
and processional; it might have been used for the celebration of victory
over the Turkish army after it besieged Vienna in 1683.  My favorite
section is the third which features a gorgeous and sublime soprano duet.

'Wohl dem, der den Herren'(He shall be praised who fears God)is considered
an early Schelle work scored for one vocal soloist and a five-part
instrumental ensemble.  The piece is very graceful and smooth with lovely
melodic passages.  The vocal soloist, Robin Blaze, exhibits a silky voice
just perfect for the music.

'Aus der Tiefen' begins with a highly devotional section which is
appropriate to the beginning of the text - "Out of the deep I call you,
Lord".  Then a lovely soprano solo sung beautifully by Carolyn Sampson
fills the soundstage.  The music subsequently takes on a more energetic
tempo and bounce that's very attractive only to be taken over again by the
devotional quality which continues until the conclusion of the work which
ends with an upbeat choral section.

I find the Cantata 'Herr, lehre uns bedenken' to be the most seductive
and intimate work on the disc; scored for three vocalists and three
instruments, every musical strand is perfectly presented in a loving
manner.  The scordatura of the strings is particularly incisive and
memorable.

The remaining works on the disc are as enjoyable as the first four.
Perhaps this Hyperion recording will lead to more discs devoted to
Schelle's music.  Regardless, the Hyperion disc is a fine accomplishment
which all lovers of baroque sacred music should snap up at first contact -
great music and performances.

Don Satz