Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 23:21:17 +0100
From:
Christopher Rosevear <[log in to unmask]>
Steve Brock said:

>.. wide recognition seems to have escaped Delius.  Why do you think this
>is? Is there too much focus on the latter years of his life ...

Of course Beecham championed him, even on some lesser pieces, and the
Delius Trust helps perpetuate some of the lesser known pieces from his
youth.  But having recently played Paris, I believe at least one of those
younger pieces should be left to gather dust.  Paris is a chaotic chilli
sin carne of half-cooked ideas; throw in a little Debussy, add a touch of
Mahler, a dash of yokel rustic and a few French tarts and hope for
atmosphere.

But then later on there are some wonderful pieces - as long as they are
short and sweet (Two Songs to be sung of a summer night on the water,
snippets of Fennimore, Summer Night on the River, On Hearing the First
Cuckoo etc).

Well nobody said I had to be objective did they??

CR