HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:41:31 -0400
In a message dated 4/23/01 10:25:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< TW, if you're
 looking for WWI cantonments, there are few remaining. They were far less
 well constructed, in most cases, and were destoryed almost immediately after
 the armisitice. >>

John,

I just dont think you get it. I am not looking for a few isolated buildings.
I want people on this list to consider how potentially eligible buildings and
structures contribute to historic contexts. This is analagous to how a
bifacial point contributes to a scientific research context. The blanket
mitigation of Series 600-800 buildings does not eliminate the need to
professionally evaluate Section 106 or do NEPA review. Nothing in NHPA
addresses personal bias, such as fire hazards in making these objective
evaluations. I feel you are so personally caught up in fire hazards,
asbestos, and other safety issues you forget you are speaking to a CRM
audience.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.