HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Madson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Madson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:10:37 -0500
I think the processes you may be wondering about here are not thermal;
rather the "different colors" you refer to are often a convenient output
schematic for visualizing variations in forced electrical current through
the ground or relative variations in magnetic field strengths, using
resistivity detectors and magnetometers respectively.  To be sure I am no
expert in these methods, but I have used them for a similar purpose and met
with mixed results.  Their value is substantial, however, and for a good
general introduction to these methods check out a recent textbook like
Hester, Shafer, and Feder's "Field Methods in Archaeology."  The bib should
lead you from there.  Best of luck.

Michael John Madson
Graduate Student, Industrial Archaeology
Michigan Technological University
Department of Social Sciences
Houghton, MI 49931
Office Phone:  906-487-3156