HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:21:34 -0500
Hello All,

It isn't easy to ask fellow professionals about this matter since I am well aware that site monitoring requires a remarkably fluid  and flexible approach. But here goes...

I was wondering if anyone out there would like to share any monitoring guidelines (such as those handed out to crew members or those given to new supervisors). I have been investigating things on the Internet and asking around, but I am having little luck. I have consulted with 3 SHPO offices and 2 major contract firms and no one has any info that they can provide to me since so much of site monitoring depends on the specific project and what you find when you get out into the field.

I work for a federal agency that supplies grant money to applicants and in a few cases I find myself making stipulations regarding the need for site monitors. This is an agreement that the SHPO and I have come to on certain cases, but the SHPO offers little guidance on just what type of monitoring he expects at these sites which are predominately fill but are within high probability areas. For the sites that I am looking at now the fill has come from local areas (estuary dredging, bluffs, etc) and may have been taken right out of archaeological sites for all we know. It is a culturally rich area that was highly utilized and I do not want to run the risk of uncovering any human remains that could be in the fill without an archaeologist on site.

So I am trying to come up with some general guidelines for the applicants and I have stretched the limits of my own personal knowledge (my experience with monitoring has been limited). Just hoping that someone can offer some input, even though I am fully aware that site monitoring is highly dependent on the site itself and many other factors. Please email me off list at [log in to unmask] All constructive input is appreciated.
Sincerely,
Katchy

http://mail2web.com/ .