HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:01:58 -0700
Tom Lanhorne commented on the two-door houses in late-19th century western
Illinois. All this talk about southern foodways reminded me of my grand
parents who were midwestern farmers. However, they had roots in western
Illinois, and before that, the family had come from Alabama. We're talking
clear back to 1830 here. Yet I can still remember the traditional fried
chicken, creamed corn, and corn bread Sunday dinner that had survived three
generations on the midwestern plains to make it into my memory.

But that's sort of beside the point. Once Illinois was opened to "American"
settlement after the French left, it was mostly southerners looking for
free or cheap land that settled the area.