HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 22:03:29 +0200
Praetzellis schrieb:
> [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> >there was also the variant on a farmer being a man out standing in his
> field; an
> >archaeologist is someone out standing in someone else's field
>

> Now we know why Geoff lives in exile.

ah: it's just the silly season - i'm trying to figure out what's worse than
having my methodology being cancelled at a big conference (because of a "general
lack of interest" on the part of the national organisers); not getting paid last
week and trying to pay for my room and board, rent, transport to and from the
site (watching the installation of sewer lines yet again, oh boy!), plus the
plane tickets which are supposed to take me to my new home (another form of
exile, but on YOUR side of the atlantic: be afraid, be very afraid); or the big
flies which have taken too many chunks out of my legs up there in the swamps of
brandenburg (i wonder how bach had time to write all those concertos: wasn't he
swatting the damned things away all day, too?) -
        actually, it could be the discussion of tolkien (yes, i spelled that
right) on the german-language archaeology list right now -

geoff carver
http://home.t-online.de/home/gcarver/