HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"James G. Gibb" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 09:23:59 -0400
Mary Jane, et al.
The new classic work on Shenandoah Valley pottery, including that of
Southwestern Pennsylania, is: H. E. (Gene) Comstock's (1994) The Pottery
of the Shenandoah Valley Region (The University of North Carolina
Press). Comstock divides the Valley into three areas and includes
hundreds of pgotographs, many in color, of pieces in private and public
collections. I think Comstock, a retired dentist in Winchester,
Virginia, works as an antiques/pottery consultant.

Also, James Smith of the Renfrew Museum in Waynesboro, Pennsylvania,
excavated a kiln and waster dump of one of the late 19th-century Bell
family kilns. He and the museum staff and volunteers are quite
knowledgeable about locally made pottery.

Feel free to contact me off-list about my studies of locally made
pottery on domestic sites near Hagerstown, Maryland, just south of the
Pennsylvania border.

Jim Gibb
Annapolis, MD  USA