HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 08:36:53 -0500
There are a number of reports and papers concerning Catoctin.  I sent about a
50 page bibliography that I have assembled to Bonnie Ryan for her student.  I
just finished an MA at Wm. & Mary on the Virginia colonial iron industry.  The
references for Catoctin are:

Contract Archaeology, Inc.
 1971 An Historical and Archaeological Survey of Land Affected by the
Dualization of U. S. Route 15 at the Catoctin Iron Furnace.  On file at the
Maryland Historical Trust, Annapolis, Maryland.

Kelly, Jennifer Olsen and J. Lawrence Angel
 1983 The Workers of Catoctin Furnace.  Maryland Archeology 19(1):2-17.

Milner, John
 1975 Catoctin Iron Furnace, Cunningham Falls State Park.  Monograph.
National Heritage Corporation, West Chester, Pennsylvania.

National Heritage Corporation
 1975 Catoctin Iron Furnace, Cunningham Falls State Park, Thurmont, Maryland.
On file at the Maryland Historical Trust, Annapolis, Maryland.

Orr, Kenneth G. and Ronald G. Orr
 1975 Field Report on the Archaeological Situation at the Catoctin Furnace
Stack 2 Casting Shed Site, Frederick County, Maryland.  On file at the
Maryland Geological Survey, Division of Archeology, Baltimore.

Parrington, Michael and Helen Schenck
 1982 A Report on the Excavation of an Ancillary Area (Site 18FR320) of the
Historic Ironworking Complex at Catoctin Furnace, Frederick Count, Maryland.
On file at the Maryland Historical Trust, Annapolis, Maryland.

The reference for Great Falls is:

Troup, Charles G., Arthur G. Barnes, and Norman F. Barka
 1978 The Potts and Wilson Iron forge/Foundry: Paowmack Canal.  Submitted to
Hayes, Seay, Mattern & Mattern and the National Park Service, Contract No.
CX-2000-7-0055.  Copies available at the Virginia Department of Historic
Resources, File FX2.

If anyone is interested in a specific site, I may well have it in my
bibliography.

James H. Brothers IV