From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 03:43:21 +0000
Michael Cooper writes:

>I remember a long discussion about Glenn Gould's humming, but I do
>remember which side of the debate Don fell on.

Don has no problem with Gould's humming, but he hates it when he's
listening to music and gets another phone call from the phone company
wanting to increase the services he receives with a nice little increase
in profit for the company.  These companies are like vultures waiting
to pounce on the unsuspecting.  I agree with Don all the way.

>Glemser hums plenty.

Michael is referring to Glemser's Scriabin sonatas discs on Naxos, and I
don't mind his humming either.  Let's all hum together.

I've appreciated the responses to my questions and have already begun my
review project with Scriabin's Etudes.  Judging from the list I have of
discs to obtain, I still have plenty more to acquire.  Those mixed discs
having some of this composer, some of that one, and some of others are a
major pain for me.  My regimen is only to acquire discs which have at least
half their program consisting of the works I am looking for.  Otherwise, I
could end up with a slew of Chopin and Liszt.

Anyways, it should be interesting.  There's historical Scriabin, modern
era Scriabin, and 'it doesn't sound like Scriabin' recordings to dig into.
Recordings of the last category were all made in Detroit.

Don Satz