From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 00:51:22 -0300
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>:

>Here are some recordings that I have that I think sound bad:

>Beethoven's 3rd with Karajan and BPO (early 60's recording).  I don't
>know when in the production process this happened, but I notice a dramatic
>increase in volume in the tutti passages. ...

That's funny.  When I was a teenager (such an entity as a "recording
engineer" was very far from my mental horizon) I thought that this was an
effect generated by Karajan's magical baton.  I liked "hardcore" Beethoven
then, and in my opinion Karajan was his natural prophet because he was the
only who had the guts to perform his dynamic contrasts "properly" (In my
teenager's glossary: fffffffff to pppppp, or 120 to 0 dB).  I'll listen
that recording again to check out.  If this result to be true, I won't be
glad: the world of my childhood falls down slowly...

Pablo Massa