From:
John Wiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:39:47 -0400
Eric Schissel wrote:

>Is anyone familiar with the music of this composer (full name Anatolii
>Nikolaevich Aleksandrov)? A string quartet of his was on LP with the eighth
>quartet of Shebalin apparently (I haven't heard that recording, though.)

I have this LP -- Melodiya D-012745/46 mono.  The coupling is Vissarion
Shebalin's String Quartet No.  9 in B minor, op 58, composed after profound
brain injury occasioned by a stroke in 1953.  This left Shebalin aphasic
to speech and writing, but did not impair his ability to compose and notate
music in much the same style as pre-injury works.  That, and the quality
of the music, is why I have the recording; I've never listened to the
Alexandrov side, his String Quartet No.  4 in C, op.  80.  If you can play
audiocassettes I will gladly dub this off and dispatch it to Triphammer
Road..both sides.  It's the original Borodin Quartet playing, about as good
as such things get.  Sorry I can't do a CD-R.

John Wiser