From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 18:11:09 -0400
My apologies to Ron for not responding quicker, but I was on a business
trip during the past week.  Overall, I'm not a big fan of the clavichord.
I appreciate its intimate character and wealth of potential nuance, but the
instrument tends to be deficient when power is called for and I love power
in music.

Having said the above, I still like to take the clavichord route for a
change of pace.  I don't believe the article mentioned Colin Tilney's
complete WTC which has Book I on clavichord and II on harpsichord.  It's
a fine set, although not near the top level.  Igor Kipnis recorded an
Arabesque disc of Bach Fantasias & Fugues on harpsichord and clavichord
which is very rewarding.  The Kirkpatrick WTC on clavichord is very good;
I'm not yet convinced about Troeger's status as one of the best performing
Bach artists.

It's probably best not to have the same set of listening demands when you
switch from harpsichord to clavichord; I could do better in making the
mental adjustments.

Don Satz