From:
Albie Cabrera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:22:17 -0700
How bout Chailly's relatively new recording? Beautiful recorded sound
and surely immaculate playing from the Concertgebouw.  The reading itself
doesn't exactly light a fire under me, but it has a very *natural* feel...
and certainly nothing sounding outright *wrong*.

I know how you feel about Klemperer's version...  one of the highest widely
recommended recordings, yet I just can't get past his take on tempo for
the first movement.  I'm very curious to hear Blomstedt's version...  which
Penguin had rated highest for quite some time but which Grammophone, on
the other hand, basically panned...  but it just no longer seems to be
available anywhere.  I've also got Karajan's 70's interpretation from DG,
and it certainly is a departure from the general view, but it can be
refreshing.

So for now, unless I get an earful of Blomstedt's, it's Chailly for me.

Albie