From:
Joyce Maier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 08:41:06 +0200
Glenn Miller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I read about Beethoven complaining about it but not to the point of it
>being a focal point of his deafness.

Beethoven complained about the tinnitus, but also complained about plain
hearing loss, in the beginning (from about 1796) high-pitched tones in
particular, but since as late as 1825 he was able to hear a very young
child screaming I often wonder what had happened in the meantime.  These at
first sight conflicting facts surely are very intruiging, medically spoken.

>Since I believe Beethoven had a sensori-neural impairment to begin with,
>that led to his deafness it seems logical that his tinnitus is related to
>this condition.  Also, it can come from otosclerosis (more rare) but as I
>mention in my other replies, this has to be ruled out if the circumstances
>of Beethoven's life are to be believed.

Why? Which circumstances? Pardon me, but I don't understand this conclusion.

Joyce Maier (mail to: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask])
www.ademu.com/Beethoven