HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:47:53 +0200
Todd Girdler schrieb:
> I'm just finding it a little hard to swallow that a german agent would:
>
> a) Posess a radio with an eagle/swastika motiff on it while in an enemy
> country, and
>
> b) Hide it under a pile of newspapers rather than destroying it when the war
> ended. Surely he could still be tried for treason after the war had ended?

i was going to say i'd bet it was a souvenir - in one of the museum backrooms i
saw a big pile of weapons (swords, old blunderbusses [blunderbi???], theatrical
prop shields, etc.) someone buried up in brandenburg somewhere after the
russians "liberated" former east germany... not that he didn't want them to fall
into the wrong hands, but the possession of weapons had been outlawed...
        all kinds of weird things happen -
        but if it was used to transmit signals, you gotta figure that any
military bases in the area would have had ears out looking for just that kind of
thing - and static ground stations can be easy to locate...

geoff carver
http://home.t-online.de/home/gcarver/