From:
Pierre Paquin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 18:33:53 -0400
I aggree with your assessment of the contents.  Sure, it's another La Mer
but WHAT A PERFORMANCE!!!  There is one piss-me-off-greatly comment with
in the notes:  "Leinsdorf ....Helped restore the technical discipline of
the BSO following Munch's lenient approach." The person who wrote this
nonsense, a Monsieur Marc Mandel, should get a verbal slap in the back
of teh head for his foulish attempt to try a perpetuate this myth.  It
is obvious he did not listen to ANY of the Munch performances within
this otherwise magnificent 12 CD set or elsewhere for that matter.
Another point:  Listen to the ho-hum Berlioz Roman Carnival Overture
with Ozawa.  Another letdown:  The Holst "Jupiter".  The BSO (or is it
another orchestra) plays with a total lack of conviction.  String tone is
"smallish" - all wrong, as though the majority of the violinists are more
interested in looking at their wristwatches instead of playing music.
Both these performances were recorded quite recently.  Goes to show how
careless -but still note perfect - the BSO (and other USA orchestras?)has
become.  There is no more character or indivdualism in the sound of the BSO
today....it seems.  Vergogna!  Sentimental or nostalgia on my part? Not at
all.  Just go at least back in time to the Berlioz Royal Hunt with Colin
Davis (1974) and or the Schubert 3rd with Haitink (1992)you'll know exactly
what I mean.  Still not convinced? Go to the Munch disc.  To conclude:  The
Brucker 8th with Steinberg (1972)is MAGNIFICENT!  It's better that the
highly regarded Tennstedt BSO performance of same which was to follow a few
years after.

Pierre Paquin