From:
Mike Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 11:02:44 -0600
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>I'm sure that someone has mentioned the superb Oistrahk? Szell recording
>from early sixties, I believe.  That to me is the ultimo recording of this
>work.

EMI released that recording at the same time as the Brahms Double Concerto
with Oistrakh/Rostropovich/Szell/Cleveland.  I think those LPs (along with
a Dvorak 8), were Szell's very last recordings--1969 or early '70.  Most of
the review praise went to the Double, with more limited enthusiasm for the
Violin Concerto.  Does anyone know if they've been paired on a CD? If so,
definitely worth snagging.  Cheers,

Mike Smith
Boulder, Colorado