From:
Dave Harman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 19:11:06 -0700
Tim Horwood wrote:

>I had the impression that he spent some time in Florida and then later
>lived in France.

Delius spent some years in the Jacksonville Fla area tending his father's
orange orchards.  In 1887 he wrote the "Florida Suite" which was premiered
in Lepzig upon his return to Europe.  Although he later revised the piece
- the Makarras recording is of the origional version - and Beecham
re-ordered the sections - Delius never heard the piece again.  It was
next performed in 1937.

I disagree with Steve Schwartz that opera was the area of Delius' greatest
accomplishment.  Certainly choral/voice was an important part of his
outout, and "Sea Drift" is considered his masterpiece.  Also important in
his output is the Violin Concerto, North Country Sketches, Songs of Sunset,
The Song of the High Hills, and the wonderful "Songs of Farewell" - to
which we are forever grateful to Eric Fenby for drawing it out of the
ailing Delius - literally one note at a time.

For those who want a good introduction, try the CD "Delius Minatures"

Dave Harman
El Paso, Tx
We hear rumors of 'music' from the lips of strangers passing through ..