From:
Alexander Atkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 01:55:22 +0100
I have been a member of the list for a couple of years or so and read
with interest the correspondence.  Although I have a deep appreciation
of classical music, I have never studied music formally or mastered any
instrument.  There is a tradition of music in my family as my father is
a competent pianist and composes, as his father was before him.  Despite
any problems I have had, my love of classical music has remained the one
constant and I am able to instantly calm and relax by listening to it.  For
the first time, at 29, I now wish to study classical music more formally
and possibly start to learn to play an instrument, preferably violin or
piano.  I was just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation to
me and would share their experiences.  Also, I would be most grateful for
any advice on possible steps I could take now to further my knowledge of
classical music, including any possible courses, books etc.  I live in
London, UK.  I do not wish to take up time on the list so feel free to
email me directly at [log in to unmask]

Regards

Alex

[As I think there are many on the list with similar aspirations, there's
 no need to worry about taking up time on the list.  -Dave]