HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Margaret Green <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:28:22 -0400
  To tell you the truth, until recently EuroAmerican graves were,
and still are being treated with a lot less respect. If an
undertaker contracts to move the cemetery, they use a front end
loader and just scoop them up, mixing burials and leaving some of
the bones of the deceased. I'm sure in some cases the cemetery was
just bulldozed and built on, without moving the cemetery. If you
have archaeologists doing it, at least the burials are dug one at
a time, archaeologically. They should also, and in many cases do,
have osteological investigation, like Native Americans. The main
reason there isn't osteological investigation is when the party
paying refuses to do it. A lot can be learned from osteology and
it should be done.
Marge Green