HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Margaret Green <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:50:56 -0400
  Old Cathedral Cemetery, Wilmington, Del. had approx. 3200
burials, some stacked, from around mid 19th century to early 20th
century. I think the Catholic Church bought the, at that time,
unused land from the other cemetery to use as their cemetery. The
burials were of different social standing but many were poorer
Irish immigrants. There were several crypts and what may have been
a section of unconsecrated ground for unbaptized infants. It was
sold to the hospital and paved over for a parking lot in the
1950's. They were reburied at All Saints cemetery. There is now a
new surgical center building on the property.
  MAAR also moved the UAME Cemetery in Wilmington, Del. The church
and cemetery were sold to MBNA for construction. Another one MAAR
moved was the Nowell Cemetery, Harrington, Del. so that United
Parcel could expand their building.
  Several of the crew on the Old Cathedral project had just worked
moving a more recent cemetery in St. Louis?? There was also one
that was moved with worker unrest and controversy (having to do
with union wages), I believe, in Indiana around the same time.
  On the PhilyRoots genealogy e-mail list, there are often people
trying to find where the cemeteries have been moved. I can post to
find out which ones and see if I get an answer.
  While not US, but is European - I gather from the German
genealogy e-mail lists that land is so scarce in Germany that you
pay for something like 30 years interment, at which time the bones
are dug up, placed in a ossuary and the land used for another
interment.
Marge Green
("Hey, Marge" to the other workers)