HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cassie Hemphill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 22:53:59 -0600
With apologies for nuisance caused by cross-posting...
here's the latest from The Archaeology Channel.

==============

We have always intended for The Archaeology Channel, our
public-education
streaming-media website (www.archaeologychannel.org), to be a
forum for
discussion of important issues.  Our new Audio Commentary series
now makes
this vision a reality.  The first guest of the series is Mr. He
Shuzhong,
Director of Cultural Heritage Watch, a non-governmental
organization
headquartered in Beijing and dedicated to the protection of
China's rich and
ancient cultural heritage.

Mr. He's commentary, titled On the Protection of China's Cultural
Heritage,
is an honest and courageous assessment of the status of heritage
site
protection in China.  While acknowledging that progress has been
made in his
country toward protecting important sites and artifacts, the
statement
reflects deep concern about the rate of ongoing site destruction
and the
insufficiency of government action and public support regarding
heritage
protection.  Mr. He also appeals for international help for his
non-governmental organization.  We hope that his message,
streamed on TAC in
both Chinese and English, will reach a large audience.

We encourage you to listen to this Audio Commentary and sample
other
streaming media programs on TAC.  If you feel that this project
is a worthy
endeavor, please participate in the membership and underwriting
programs
described on our website at www.archaeologychannel.org.  Your
help will allow
us to continue and enhance this nonprofit public-education
service.  We also
welcome volunteers and content partners to team with us as we
reach out to
the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested.

Richard M. (Rick) Pettigrew
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute