HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 07:38:19 -0500
On July 16, Audrey Horning wrote:

>I have accounts for
> the Virginia Blue Ridge in which newspapers (and calendars and
> magazines) were changed on a regular basis, and used as a means of
> teaching reading as well as for decorative purposes.

I found a variant on this theme back in the late 70s in Tidewater Virginia
while on a  field survey.  I found papered walls  in what I assumed was a
small seasonal hunting cabin.(although it might have been a "boys
clubhouse."  Disclaimer:  these two places are essentially the same thing in
my mind !).   The walls were completely "papered" in Playboy centerfolds and
other magazine cut-outs with similar themed pictures! <grin>  Decorative?
educational? or used to cut down on the chill?  You be the judge.

Just thought you should consider all variants.......

Linda Derry, Director
Old Cahawba - AHC
719 Tremont St.
Selma, AL 36701 - 5446
ph. 334/875-2529 / email: [log in to unmask]