HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
SouthArc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 10:10:53 -0500
Hi Listmembers and happy 2001--

I am looking for information that I know many of you are familiar with.  I
have been asked (based on work we did on plantations in coastal SC) to
contribute a brief paper to an upcoming Florida plantation symposium.  Since
it has been several years since we did any plantation work, I thought I'd
better check with the list to see what's new.

The topic I have been assigned is to present an overview of comparative
research on southeastern plantation worker settlements.  This appears to
include both slave and postbellum tenant settlements, although I
suspect--based on other papers in the symposium--that slave settlements are
to be the main focus.

The idea is to acquaint Florida archaeologists and historians with the
research possibilities inherent in worker settlements.  While we had an
active plantation system in Florida, comparatively little research has been
done on the sites (with the exception of Kingsley and some sugar works).  So
the symposium organizers are trying to spur some interest in pursuing these
studies by highlighting some of the research possibilities.

So, list members, if you can help me out (off list is fine), I would
appreciate it.  Obviously, given the context of a symposium paper, I don't
need huge amounts of data.  Summaries of some of the key findings in terms
of settlement patterns, artifact patterns, ethnicity, architectural
variations, labor systems, etc., would be great.  We want to show that there
is a great deal of variability and thus a lot to learn from every site.  I
am fairly familiar with coastal Georgia and South Carolina data, but could
really use help from other areas.

By the way, if anyone is interested, the symposium information is as follows:

        Second Northeastern [Florida] Plantation Symposium
        March 24, 2001--Daytona Beach, FL--8:30 AM to 5:35 PM
        One day of papers and I think a site tour on second day.
        Presenters include archaeologists, historians and architectural
historians.

Papers primarily focus on northeastern Florida with a little Caribbean work
because of the region's tie to sugarmaking.

Thanks in advance for your help.

                                        Lucy Wayne