HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 21:21:57 +0000
Thanks Mary for your usual dazzling erudition. I am trying to write
something about some C19 button waste found in the garden of Leicester's
University VC. Actually I haven't got the time (I am supposed to be writing
3 chapters of the Gwent County History -an unpaid job) to do much but if I
don't there will not be any sort of record. In C19 UK looks very like a
cottage industry done by low paid women and children and one suspects
finished off elsewhere. Button waste ahas been also excavated found from a
slum complex in Chester but the documents have no evidence of button makers
(Keith Matthews pers com).
There are button blanks associated with metal workshops from Philadelphia:
http://www.culturalresourcegroup.com/projects/philadelphia1.htm

paul courtney
Leicester
UK