HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathy Leacock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 13:37:44 -0500
Hist Arch,

While doing some CRM work in Auburn New York we uncovered the partial
foundation of an 1850s farmhouse. The interior of the structure contained a
large amount of building materials, obviously from the razing of the
structure. We excavated around 120 complete red bricks with all dimensions
preserved. The interesting thing is that a small sample of the bricks
(around 5 or 6) appeared to never have been fired. The dimensions were
preserved but they were unfired clay? One sample showed signs of mortar
that suggest it was part of the structure at one time?

Has anyone ever come across the use of unfired bricks?  or know of any good
sources for information about this?

Thank you for your time,

Kathy Leacock

University at Buffalo