HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carl Steen
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 10:07:37 -0400
FYI-- We had a couple of variations on this at Fort Johnson (Charleston SC).  Not exactly the same, but similar on a techno-functional level...
.
One was a penny set in an aluminum frame. This was stamped with a local bank's name on one side and and "Keep Me For Good Luck" on the reverse.
The other was a Lincoln cent, with the Lord's Prayer (Christian) stamped on one side. The penny was flattened and distended into an oval shape....

Carl Steen

5/31/2002 7:42:57 AM, Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dear youngster:
>
>Back in the Dark Ages (circa 1960) there were coin-operated machines
>nearly everywhere that would make such imprinted "pocket pieces" in
>exactly the form you report. The letters would be punched into the
>token by a machine not unlike an Addressograph plate imprinter, but
>then you wouldn't remember them, either.
>

>At 11:46 AM -0700 5/30/02, Stephanie Nutt wrote:
>>We have an artifact in our collection I am hoping someone out there can
>>help us identify.  It is a circular token of sorts, about the size of a
>>half dollar, made of a light weight metal -- probably aluminum.  It has a
>>cut out star in the center with an American flag on one side of the star
>>and a four leaf clover on the other side with the words GOOD LUCK around
>>the clover.  The side of the token with the flag also says LEE & FRANCES
>>FT. HOOD TEXAS around the edge of the token.  We know it was manufactured
>>after 1953, because that is the date Camp Hood became a permanent facility
>>and was renamed Fort Hood.  It looks like it might be some sort of token
>>given out for a wedding or similar occasion.  I can provide a digital image
>>if anyone wants to see it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>--
>***************************  Ned Heite  ([log in to unmask])
>
>Proof that intelligent life survives:
>
>The health ministry in Belarus has outlawed
>establishment of McDonalds restaurants because
>they are considered unhealthful.

Carl Steen
Archaeologist
The Diachronic Research Foundation